The Internet is chockfull of websites determined to help you learn how to lower blood pressure instantly, and often the advice you can get regarding dietary options and lifestyle choices are, on the whole, healthier for you. You really do need to cut down on your sodium and cholesterol intake, and you really ought to learn how to deal with stress better. But perhaps the safest and most effective way to deal with your high blood pressure is to discuss the matter with your physician.
A doctor is much more helpful to you in this case because often you can’t tell for sure if you have high blood pressure (which doctors call hypertension btw!). And if your condition is left untreated, the next thing you know, you’re already dealing with much more serious ailments like heart or kidney problems. So before you get to that stage, take your doctor’s advice seriously. You’ll probably be prescribed one or more of the following drugs:
1. Calcium channel blockers. Medicines such as felodipine and amlodipine are some of the more effective ways in lowering blood pressure. If you want to know how to lower blood pressure instantly, start with calcium channel blockers. These drugs reduce the intake of calcium on a cellular level and they also lessen heart muscle contraction when your heart pumps blood.
2. Beta blockers. Examples of beta blockers include betaxolol and acebutolol, and these medicines work by exerting action through your sympathetic nervous system. By doing so, your heart can relax more because its workload is lessened.
3. Diuretics. Spironolactone and HCTZ are common examples of diuretics. These encourage your body to get rid of fluids and sodium, which is a very effective way to immediately lower your blood pressure level. Sodium is especially bad for those with hypertension, which is why a lot of diets for those with high blood pressure don’t contain salt. If you have too much salt in your system, it causes excess fluid to build up in your blood vessels, thereby causing your blood pressure to rise.
4. Angiotensin converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitors. Drugs in this category include ramipril and captopril. They can do a lot to get your blood pressure level down right away. They can dilate the blood vessels, promote blood flow, and also lessen the workload your heart has to carry. These ACE inhibitors also protect small blood vessels in your kidneys from being damaged.
5. Angiotensin II receptor blockers. These include losartan and valsartan, although you can just call them ARBs for short. Your doctor may prescribe them for you if the ACE inhibitors aren’t working in your case. By taking ARBs, you help block some particular chemicals from causing your blood vessels to become narrow.
In general, the recommendations from your doctor will also include some stern advice regarding your diet, including quitting smoking and drinking. Follow your doctor’s advice diligently if you want to get better. By knowing how to lower blood pressure instantly, you will have a longer and healthier life.